- Listening part 1: pictures with multiple choice questions
- Listening part 2: Listen to six short texts for attitudes and opnions
- Listening part 3: complete notes
- Listening part 4: longer recording and multiple choice questions
The Listening section is worth 25% of the total score for the exam.
- Each of the 25 listening questions
scores 1 mark.
How to prepare for B1 Preliminary (PET) Listening
- Read the instructions carefully before you start each section.
- Read the questions before you listen. You will hear the audio twice.
- Listen! The more English you listen to the better your will do. Listen to the radio, English language TV, podcasts… Click Here
Addresses all parts of the task although some parts may be more fully covered than others
Presents a relevant position although the conclusions may become unclear or repetitive
Presents relevant main ideas but some may be inadequately developed/unclear
Coherence and cohesion
Arranges information and ideas coherently and there is a clear overall progression
Uses cohesive devices effectively, but cohesion within and/or between sentences may be faulty or mechanical
May not always use referencing clearly or appropriately
Uses paragraphing, but not always logically
Uses an adequate range of vocabulary for the task
Attempts to use less common vocabulary but with some inaccuracy
Makes some errors in spelling and/or word formation, but they do not impede communication
Grammatical range and accuracy
Uses a mix of simple and complex sentence forms
Makes some errors in grammar and punctuation but they rarely reduce communication